- The goal of this project is to better understand when, how and where people use mobile map applications.
- An enhanced knowledge of mobile map use behavior in everyday activities could help to design future map apps.
- Such a design should support people’s mobility more effectively and efficiently.
- Study when, how, and for how long do people use map apps in their daily lives
- Predict map use behavior and map-based decision making in situations
Phase I: Visual Data Analytics
- Collected smartphone tap behavior → tapping behavior
- Ambient light → indoor/outdoor use
- Accelerometer data → movement behavior
While this data offers insights about when and how people use maps, they are insufficient to answer the question of where the maps are used. GPS data collection is planned to assess use location.